Monday 6 August 2012

70s baby!

There has been a summer swap over at Phat Quarter and I got partnered up with two very talented ladies. I had to stitch something for Cocoaeyes. Now I won't lie to you - stitching for someone whose work you admire is always a bit nerve-wracking. Luckily she is very sweet and she told me that she liked the boxing hares piece I did for the last PQ swap- phew!
So I started thinking of ideas- the theme was 70's. I was a bit stuck at first until I hit on the idea of doing something based on the 1970 Isle of Wight festival, which is famous for being huge and chaotic and is the subject of the film Message to Love. Whilst searching for images I happened across an image of a pregnant girl, standing among the tents. It was an image that jumped out at me and I knew straight away that was what I wanted to stitch. It's a beautiful photo and iconic too as there have been efforts to identify the girl but she has never come forward. I used a variety of stitches - the thread is a variegated hand-dyed silk, that I think gives a sort of tie-dye feel and the colours have that hazy, smoky quality that goes with the festival vibe.



I love how working to a theme means you create things you would never have thought of otherwise- the PQ swap galleries are always brilliant, I love seeing how everyone interprets the theme so differently.

 Stitching for me was the awesome SisterTwisty who made me a beautiful David bowie hoop

and his supercute feline double!!!

She used metallic thread for the flash- how great is that. They are so beautifully stitched- all that fill is so smooth. the shading on the face works so well- I love his eyes. Check out her blog post about it and don't forget to visit the swap gallery here 

4 comments:

  1. I'm the VERY lucky recipient of this Isle of Wight Fest piece. And let me tell you that in person it is even more beautiful and delicately stitched that it appears here. The colors and shading are elegant and have both a 1970s tie dye feel and are, somehow, classic, too. Sophie is hugely talented, as anyone who sees her work knows instantly. I could not be more thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your piece for the 70's swap, Sophie! The colors of the variegation are so subtle and pretty, they really draw your eye in to the details of the stitching. Well done! And WOW, that Bowie piece is seriously out of this world! I can't imagine the hours spent on that fill stitching, it's stunning! That kitty is adorable, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love it all man, peace. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou all! Olisa, I'm so glad I signed up for the swap as I would never have come up with this without the 70s theme and Lisa I agree that the Bowie piece is amazing SisterTwisty is very talented! Mind you, I always get good stuff in the Phat Quarter swaps! xxx

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you