Thursday 10 October 2013

Diva Plavalaguna

P9300705 by Sewphie T
P9300705, a photo by Sewphie T on Flickr.

I made this for the Phat Quarter "5" swap. Both me and my partner like the Fifth Element so I though I'd do an embroidery based on that. I originally started an embroidery of the films main character Leeloo but that didn't turn out so well! I ended up abandoning it part way through as I could tell it wasn't going to look good. I am glad I did because I love how this piece looks- Plavalaguna is blue so I chose blue cotton to stitch on. I am really into engravings and graphic novels at the moment, the use of repeated lines and cross hatching to create shadow and shape- and you can see I played around with that a lot here. These techniques really work for me in stitch and I am using them in my scrimshaw pieces too.
This was so much fun and I'm pleased to say my partner loved it which always make me happy :)
Now I just wait to receive my piece from the wonderful Olisa!!

4 comments:

  1. I keep coming back to look at this, I think it's fabulous. I love the shading, and the idea of taking inspiration from engravings. It's (employ Craig Revel Horwood voice) AH-MAZ-ING!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you